Thursday, July 24, 2003

Anyone out there know Latin?

Okay, I'm trying to translate bits of The Aeneid in order that I might keep up with my Latin this summer. So if you find a problem with my translation (which is, more than likely, inevitable) please email me at firezdog@yahoo.com. Please please please! All right. Here goes.

Liber I (vv. 1-7)

ARMA virumque cano, Troiae qui primus ab oris
Italiam, fato profugus, Laviniaque venit
litora, multum ille et terris iactatus et alto
vi superum saevae memorem Iunonis ob iram;
multa quoque et bello passus, dum conderet urbem,
inferretque deos Latio, genus unde Latinum,
Albanique patres, atque altae moenia Romae.

"I sing of arms and of a man, who first came, from the lands of Troy, to Italy and the Lavinian shores-- running before fate -- whipped both through lands and by the high power of of Juno's muchness of savage memory and anger; therefore enduring much strife and war -- but in order to found a city, bearing the latin gods, whose beginning is in Latium (and the Albanian fathers), so to raise the walls of Rome."

So as you can see, this needs work. Please help. Mail me (firezdog@yahoo.com) with suggestions.

No comments: