Saturday, September 04, 2004

Shades

Human beauty was entrusted into my care
He said yes I wrapped myself around him
Like ivy sucking the first sweet sap from trees
I plucked myself into conflagrations of berries but
A sad wind. The sky falls in small drops, very small
When you're lonely and the air is whirling inferno around you,
Very small when the earth turns slowly into shadows
And whirling darkness: if you clasp a shadow
It flees, like the efforts of an adamantine pincer
On the thin and steel-clacked air. Suddenly he was a shadow
Falling across my arms and dampening my dreams like an arid torrent,
A volcanic eruption of water from deep springs above (and
The little vines running into ravines, thick moss-gatherers,
Vines sucking teats of the mountain, juicing
Hard rock). Hello my voice
Quivered in the shadows, patiently, delicately exploring
The far reaches and the arid domains, all the way
To the valleys of hills and the hesitant sunset. Darkness.

No comments: